Yes I am a Girl

Yes I am a girl. A girl of a double standard, biased, hypocritical Indian society. I have endured oppression for generations. Be it murdering me prematurely, be it being considered a burden after the birth, be it eschewing me from education, be it being called someone destined to do household chores, be it marrying me at a tender age, be it being bitten by a drunkard husband, be it being asked to cover my face for inexplicable reasons, be it all the pains and trauma I have been through, I survived. 

I am also a girl of a society where males worship me. They go berserk to have a glimpse of me in temples. They even travel miles, barefoot, to please me. But, ironically, this devotion is subjected only to my idols. When it comes to the living ‘me’ the sheer lasciviousness of the same humans shakes me from within. I wonder if they thought of me in the same way when they came to my idols or may be the blunt weapons prevented them from doing so. I never understood this hypocritical nature of them. Am I just an object of desire, do I exist only in nonliving idol form and this living form of mine does not belong to me? 

I am a girl who is eve teased every 10 minutes, physically harassed every 20 minutes and raped every half an hour. I feel extremely secured in the closed walls of temples but out on the streets I feel vulnerable. I am afraid to walk alone, to take public transport as the lewdness which I see in the eyes of my worshipers makes me paranoid. I don’t ask much, just an ounce of respect. Don’t tell me to dress properly, ask yourself, do you have any right to do so.

Disgustingly, I am a girl who is ashamed, embarrassed and mortified to be born in Indian society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Verge of Universe

THE SWEETNESS OF DOING NOTHING